Monday, June 23, 2014

Sunday = Good Television

I suppose I should start this post by saying that I really enjoy stories. It almost doesn't matter what format I get them in, book, television/movies, or being told them aloud. As a result I have always loved to watch TV, even as a child. Not to worry I spent plenty of time outside with friends and playing imaginary games and sports or simply bugging neighborhood parents for fun!

I did, however, always look forward to my TV time and it did not take long for me to notice that there was always one day of the week with superior programming. Growing up it was always Fridays, I'm sure many of you will remember TGIF. Leading up to the beginning of this year I was speaking with some friends about shows we were excited for and we realized there has been a shift. A disproportionate number of good shows now come air on Sundays. This led us to create a gathering that we lovingly call Super Sundays. We started in January with Downton Abbey, followed by Sherlock, and we just finished Game of Thrones! Which leads me to the purpose of this post, about halfway through GoT we realized our conversations were strange, hilarious, and occasionally thought provoking. We talked about podcasting but none of us have ever done this before and we were unable to get the right software before the season ended. :( So I thought I would include some of the highlights of our conversations on my blog to share with all of you.

So now my thoughts on season 4 of GoT as a whole. RIP the Red Viper!! I loved him in the book,  he was quickly a favorite and quickly snatched from me. Naturally I was nervous to see how his character was portrayed on screen, and the answer is: perfectly! That was a job well done HBO! I loved that we got a whole 50 minutes for the battle at Castle Black, they deserved it. We often get only pieces of what happens up there, but I was disappointed that we did not get to see Jon made Lord Captain Commander. It was sexy in my head and I'm feeling like it will be sexy on screen. Maise Williams is brilliant  as Arya and I love her more and more every time she is on screen. Cersi is not crazy enough on screen and it bothers me because the result is the audience is not sympathizing with Jaime as much as the should by this point. Joffery's death was just as satisfying in the show as it was in the book! Sansa's character development is being shown so well. But the question I kept asking myself all season long is: What happened to Little Finger's voice?! Why does he talk out of the side of his mouth now in that loud whisper?  Why did they change this? Can he use a normal inside voice please??

That is just a summary, I have many other thoughts on this season but I worry that would get lengthly and hard to read. I will save my thoughts on premiere of True Blood for next week so hopefully I have more to say. As always thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment