Friday, October 3, 2014

Summer Cirque Part 8


This year we spent the weekend of Sept 13-15 in Iowa!! That's right Des Moines Renaissance Festival! 
It was a blast, and castle. We met lots of new people and castle. Had to wear unitards and castle. Actually got running water for a change and castle. I got to see my friend from study abroad and... Yep you guessed it CASTLE!!!
So now that you're wondering ;) our stage was actually a castle. And I felt like a bad ass doing aerial in front of a castle. Look: 

Seriously though it was cool. 
I really enjoyed not being "the new kid on the block" this time around. This is different than what I wrote about from earlier this summer. That was more of a feeling of being accepted into a community of performers which I loved, and cherish the memory of that experience. But this time it felt like everyone in our troup was on equal footing. Yes it was clear that Sylver and Gwyd both lead the troup and have the most experience but we came into this new fair as a solid unit and the solidarity held. We were new as a group and they accepted us into their community as a goup. Now this is not to say that I am ungrateful for the performing community that was gifted to me in Michigan. I am celebrating the cohesion that has developed over this year that allows others to view KB as a unified troup and not individual performers clumped awkwardly together. I am excited to be a part of it and for this to continue

Things we learned in Iowa:
1. Captin James T Kirk will be born in an alley

2. Even bees attacking small children can't stop our show
3. Renny hair braids are amazing

4. The soup disappears
5. Every fair has doppelgängers
6. BEES!!!!
7. The Knotty Bits makes a great verse to "what do you do with a drunken sailor"
8. Every fair has participants with questionable morals
9. Watching a dragon eat French fries is awesome!
10. When the Pirates storm the castle the Jolly Roger looks amazing up top

No comments:

Post a Comment